Qualities of successful Fashion Designer
Develop your skills
Successful fashion designers has various types of skills, including drawing, an eye for color and texture, and ability to visualize concepts in three dimensions, and the mechanical skills involved in sewing and cutting all types of fabrics.
- Get superb sewing educational costs in the event that you haven't effectively taken in this expertise well. Having the option to sew troublesome texture under testing circumstances will stand you in phenomenal stead all through your vocation yet you have to work at it - it's an ability that doesn't come easily to many people.
- See how textures move, wrap, inhale, respond when worn, and so on. Your top to bottom learning of texture is significant to utilizing it appropriately when planning. Also, know where to source materials from.
- Gain from existing originators, what their identity is, however, their experiences, their mark style, then discovering that they embraced, where they examined. Realizing this will assist you with being a superior creator yourself, as you can get and expand on their thoughts.
- Learn how to create storyboards and product ranges. Be great at looking into patterns and discovering motivation from online networking, relative shopping, and public exhibitions.
- Start developing these skills at a young age. Beset up to dedicate long periods of time to culminating in your specialty. Somewhat ordinary will make you increase a profound comprehension of style in the long run on the off chance that you are arranging a vacation. Attempting to do at the same time may get you disheartened.
In the event that you can, it bodes well to get recognition or a degree in style structure or a related program. You'll gain proficiency with a lot, make brilliant early contacts and have adequate chance to show off your aptitudes in a less judgmental condition (albeit still be set up to be critiqued!) Do one (or both) of the following:
- Get a degree or Diploma in fashion design. Most programs are three or four years long.
SCM Design Institute in Navi Mumbai where you will get to learn through a 1-year Diploma and two-year advanced diploma. It is a new institute but a very popular design institute in the Navi Mumbai. You will study drawing, color and composition, pattern- making, and draping. Notwithstanding learning pragmatic abilities like these, you will likewise be working with industry experts who may fill in as significant contacts later on and who can give you first-hand advice and feedback on your work.
- Apply for an internship. If school is not meant for you, or if you simply feel that real-world experience will be better for you, then find a fashion internship. You should have an amazing portfolio to apply and be happy to begin at the base; understudies are frequently given humble errands like getting espresso. Once more, the associations you make through your entry-level position or apprenticeship will be essential as you seek after your vocation in design, and working with industry experts will give you an opportunity to embrace your skills first-hand.
Decide which designing field is your principal interest
You may need to start at the bottom but you do need to have some goals in mind as to the
type of designing you want to undertake lifelong. Are you interested most in haute couture,
ready-to-wear, fitness/leisure gear, the mass market or niches such as eco wear?
advantages and disadvantages that you'll need to explore before reaching your final
decision on which pathway to pursue. Within these major fields, you'll also need to decide
on a few sub-set areas for your Fashion Design.
You might wish to straddle a few but, to begin with, don't over-extend yourself as it's better to perfect your designing within one area and then experiment when you've already got a good foothold in the industry. For example:
- Women's daywear, women's evening wear
- Men's daywear, men's evening wear
- Boys' wear and/or girls' wear; teenage wear
- Sportswear/fitness/leisure wear
- Outdoor, adventure, outerwear
- Bridal wear
- Costume design for theaters, movies, the advertising industry and retailers.
- Think of real needs:
you don't design for yourself, you design for others Think about real needs prior to think about fame. Looking cool is fine, but it won't increase the sale by itself. If you are planning to become a fashion designer, you'll not only make apparel for yourself or for famous people. You can't make a living out of that: they're not even 1% of the population. It doesn't work that way. Designers especially need the people with real, imperfect bodies that still want to look their best. Having a pessimistic attitude will blind you from making money.
- Ask your customers what they need.
Be realistic: if you live in a very warm country, you will have a tough time selling ski jackets. Look around you. What do real people need and want? For example, if you plan to design a complete collection, you will need more tops than bottoms because most people have more tops than bottoms in their wardrobe in general. Tops are great to modify your looks while a plain nice fitting pant will match most of your tops. Keep it simple and realistic.
- Make concessions, Offers and Discounts:
If you have to create a style that will be produced many times, you need to make it right from the start. It will improve your designing skills. Bad styles will get you returns and cost quite a bunch of money to your boss.
- Get inspiration from your competitors.
Observe and note which type of materials they are using (for their garments to be strong enough for its usage); fabric quality for its properties such as impermeability, comfort, breathability or care; colors that sell in your country. Starting from your competitor’s qualities is not copying: it's observation. By taking the best of every piece and analyzing it, you will understand what makes a "favorite" piece of clothing. They are usually best-sellers. Your customers want something that looks good on them in the first place.
- Plan some key pieces:
What is your absolute strength in designing? Your passion and skill are primary things. Of course, the second part is matching this to what the market wants, which in fashion, is part of convincing the market and part noticing what the market is demanding.